Burma Study Abroad Website

Requirements and Information by Country

The United States


Contents of this Page

Education System
Required Tests
The Application Procedure
Selected Universities Where Burmese have Studied
Civil Rights in the US
Useful Books
Useful Links
Burmese Student Links


Education System

The United States has over 1000 universities and colleges. It is not easy to choose one. Consider factors such as reputation, size, location, and cost as you try to limit your search.

The academic year begins in August/September and ends in May/June. You can also attend courses during summer school which runs from June-August. Applications are usually due in early January, and acceptance letters are mailed in April.

Almost all colleges and universities in the United States expect you to take courses in a variety of subjects. This is called a liberal arts education and the objective is acquire some knowledge about a number of subjects while also learning in depth about one particular subject. You will major in one subject, but you must usually take one course each in mathematics, physical science, social science. You will be expected to take an English writing course and also a foreign language. Generally, you are encouraged to take a variety of courses your first year and only choose your major at the end of your first year or beginning of your second year.

Students generally take 4 courses a semester. Some universities operate on a trimester (or term) system, which means the academic year is broken into three parts instead of two.

In the United States it is common for American and foreign students to have a part-time job while attending the university. There are many jobs on campus, such as working in the library or research labs. You can also find jobs off campus in restaurants and stores. You can also work during the summer and vacations.

To graduate, you must maintain a 2.0 or "C" average, but if you want to attend graduate school you must do much better than this. You must have at least a 3.5 or B+ average.


Advanced placement

Some colleges and universities give college credit to students who have done university-level work in high school. This means that a first-year student could skip the first-year class in that subject. Students must usually take a standardized advanced placement exam before entering the university. Students who have completed "A" levels at home often receive advanced placement standing.


Back to Top



Estimated Average Costs for U.S. Colleges and Universities

(September - May, 2001 - 2002)


  Private Schools State Schools


  High Cost Low Cost High Cost Low Cost
Tuition & Fees





Room & Board





Books & Supplies





Personal Expenses










(from studyusa.org)


Money Matters

Open a bank account as soon as possible after arriving in the United States. If the bank has an international banking department, you can wire money from home directly into your bank account in the United States. Transfers usually take from 24-48 hours. Foreign checks usually take 4 to 6 weeks to clear.

It is a good idea to bring about $2,000 in traveler's checks to cover your initial expenses (housing, furniture, books, etc.) Traveler's checks are safer than cash, because if they are stolen, they can be replaced.


Back to Top


Required Tests

Undergraduates are generally required to take the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) or ACT. Both test your English language skills, mathematics, and ability to reason.

You will also be required to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). Most schools require a minimum of 550, but very competitive schools will require 600.


Back to Top


The Application Procedure

Follow these steps as you apply to U.S. colleges and universities:

1. Email or write to several schools. You can ask for more information and an application form by using the Request Information forms appearing on each school's website. Or get the address from university reference books at your local library.
2. Send application forms. You will also have to include a certified transcript, which documents your marks during the last four years of secondary school and on the national secondary school examinations in your country. If you are applying to graduate school, the Admissions Office or department will look at your marks from college or university.
Ask the school you are now attending, or the school you have attended most recently, to mail a certified copy of your academic record to the schools where you are applying.
Activities. Make a list of clubs to which you belong, awards earned, team sports experience or leadership roles you have exercised.
Letters of recommendation. The application form will probably include several blank pages to be completed by your teachers. Ask several of your teachers to complete the forms and mail them directly to the Admissions Office.
Admissions tests. Most schools ask for official reports of test scores (see below).
Application fee. You will pay the school a fee, probably between US $30 and $50, payable by check in U.S. dollars. This money pays for processing your application, and it will not be refunded if you do not attend the school.
Be sure to send your application to the college or university well before the deadline.
3. Register for admissions tests. Students applying to U.S. colleges and universities must take examinations that measure aptitude and achievement. International students must also take a test that measures English proficiency. These tests are given at test centers around the world. They are "standardized," so that students take the same test at every test center. Your scores give the Admissions Office a uniform international standard for measuring your ability in comparison with other students.

A note on filling out university applications: American universities generally like to see that you have developed talents outside of academics - ie. in sports, music, dance, or the arts. If you do engage in any of these activities, definitely list them. Also, make your essays reflect your personality and enthusiasm as much as possible. Show the university that you are an intelligent, motivated, and energetic student who will succeed.


Acceptance Letters

After the application deadline, you will receive letters from the schools to which you have applied.


Paying Your Deposit

Most schools require students to pay a deposit before a certain deadline if they want to reserve space in the entering class. For international students, this deposit can be as high as a semester's or a full year's tuition.

You should send your deposit immediately if you are applying for financial aid or if you plan to live in college housing. Many schools do not have enough campus housing for all the students, so you will have a better chance of getting a room on campus if you send your housing application and a room deposit fee as soon as possible.

The school that admits you may also ask you for a statement that shows how much money you have available for all the years you will be in school. If an organization is sponsoring you, you will need to send details of your award.

Then, your school will send you an I-20 form. Once you have this, you can go to the American embassy to apply for a visa to stay in the U.S.A.


Back to Top


Selected Universities Where Burmese Have Studied


Arizona State University


Arizona State University is a major research university located in metropolitan Phoenix, the economic, cultural, and governmental center of Arizona. In addition to the Main Campus located in Tempe, the University features two newer campuses with more specialized missions: ASU West (in Northwest Phoenix adjacent to Glendale) and ASU East (in Mesa).  ASU is listed in The Student Guide to America's 100 Best College Buys, which profiles the schools that are rated the highest academically with the lowest total cost per college year. 



Contact Information

Arizona State University
Undergraduate Admissions
P. O. Box 870112
Tempe AZ 85287 - 0112

Phone: 480.965.7788

To request forms:

Arizona State University Main
Undergraduate Admissions
P.O. Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

Burmese Students Organization

email: myanmarclub@hotmail.com



Back to List of Schools

Bucknell University


Bucknell is a four-year, private university located in Pennsylvania.

Connections between Burma and Bucknell date from 1846 when Eugenio Kincaid, a Baptist missionary on leave from his post in Burma, became a charter Trustee at the founding of the University at Lewisburg (renamed Bucknell University in 1886). When Kincaid returned to Burma, he encouraged a young Burmese, Maung Shaw Loo, to study in Lewisburg. Shaw Loo, the university's first international student, arrived in 1858 and graduated in 1864. Throughout his years as a prominent physician and educator in Burma, Shaw Loo maintained strong ties to his alma mater.

Ties between Burma and Bucknell strengthened over the years, culminating in a series of international weekends held on campus from 1948 through 1965. These occasions brought leaders of the Union of Burma and the United States, Burmese students from the U.S. and abroad, other Burmese guests, and the Bucknell community together for rich intercultural experiences. Major speakers, such as Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas, journalist Edward R. Murrow, and statesman U Thant, participated.

During the 10th Anniversary Weekend in 1958, His Excellency U Win, Burmese Ambassador to the United States, presented a hand-crafted silver bowl from the President of the Union of Burma and Mrs. Win Maung "symbolizing 100 years of friendly relationship between the people of Burma and Bucknell University."


Contact Information

Mark D. Davies
Dean of Admissions
Bucknell University
Lewisburg, PA 17837


Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
E-Mail: admissions@bucknell.edu
Website: www.bucknell.edu


Back to List of Schools



Colby College


Colby College is a small liberal arts college in Maine, with a solid reputation for academic excellence.

Colby has a special scholarship program for students who themselves or whose parents have suffered political oppression, including political torture. The scholarship can provide full support for the entire four-year undergraduate program. See the scholarship section below for more information.


Contact Information

Office Of Admissions & Financial Aid
Colby College
4800 Mayflower Hill,
Waterville, ME 04901-8848
Phone: 207-872-3168, 800-723-3032

Fax: 207-872-3474
E-mail: admissions@colby.edu
Website: www.colby.edu


Back to List of Schools


De Anza College


Located 45 miles south of San Francisco,De Anza College occupies a 112-acre site in Cupertino in the heart of Silicon Valley. The city is also home to Apple, Compaq, Sun, Hewlett-Packard, and many other high-technology firms.

Nestled at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains, the college was named after Spanish explorer Juan Bautista de Anza. The college is one of the largest, single-campus community colleges in the country with a fall enrollment averaging 26,000 students. Operating on the quarter system, De Anza offers courses throughout the year during the day and evening and on weekends.

De Anza ranks among the top three community colleges in the United States for the number of Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degrees awarded. In addition, the college has guaranteed admission and transfer agreements with 15 four-year colleges and universities in nearly 100 fields of study. At any given time, more than half of De Anza's students are enrolled in 30 career and technical programs which include 46 different options.  There is a total of 550 permanent (contract) employees - 290 faculty members, 220 classified staff members, and 40 managers - and many additional part-time faculty and staff members.

The makeup of De Anza's student body is as richly diverse as its course offerings and extracurricular activities. Most students are from local cities although some come from more than 50 countries.  Admission is open to anyone with a high school diploma (or the equivalent) or who is at least 18 years old. High school juniors and seniors may also attend De Anza by providing a parental signature and a written recommendation from their school.

(for admission information, see: http://www.deanza.edu/international/admission.html)


Contact Information

De Anza College
International Student Office
21250 Stevens Creek Blvd
Cupertino CA 95014

Phone: 408-864-8826
Fax: 408-864-5638
E-mail: dainternational@fhda.edu

Burmese students club chat room: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/deanzastudentfromburma


Back to List of Schools


Indiana University


Indiana University is a large, state university with several campuses and many international students.

Indiana University (Bloomington campus) has hosted numerous Burmese students over the past 10 years. Through 2001, USIA-scholarships for a small number of selected Burmese students from Thailand and India have been provided.

Although there is no other special scholarship program for Burmese students offered by the university, there is some financial aid for well-qualified applicants (especially graduate students) for which Burmese students can also apply. The university is very familiar with Burmese students and many Burmese have settled in the area.


Contact Information

Admissions Office
300 North Jordan Ave.
Bloomington, IN 47405

Phone: (812) 855-0661
E-mail: iuadmit@indiana.edu


Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA)
Franklin Hall 208
601 E. Kirkwood Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-1223

Phone: (812) 855-0321
Fax: (812) 856-7787
Website: www.indiana.edu


Burmese Students Association:

President: Soe Aung 

Email: saung@indiana.edu

Note: If you decide to apply to Indiana University, you can contact Dean Kenneth Rogers (kenroger@indiana.edu), who has worked with the USIA students, for more information. You can also contact Tun Myint (tmyint@indiana.edu), a graduate student at the university.


Back to List of Schools



Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne

Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) is a state-assisted university serving Indiana's second largest city and the surrounding region. IPFW is a combined campus of two outstanding Big Ten schools -- Indiana University and Purdue University -- and takes advantage of the best features and resources that these institutions have to offer. Located within a three-hour drive of Chicago, Detroit, or Indianapolis, Fort Wayne has a population of 200,000.

Students can study in nine schools or divisions:

IPFW grants Indiana University and Purdue University degrees, depending on the academic department's university affiliation.


Contact Information:

Barbara Waters, Ed.D., Director
International Services

2101 E. Coliseum Blvd
Fort Wayne, IN 46805-1499

Phone: 219-481-6034
Emailwatersb@ipfw.edu or foreign@ipfw.edu


Note: IPFW does not have any money available for scholarships or financial aid for international students


Back to List of Schools


Ivy Tech State College, Fort Wayne

Ivy Tech State College is a public, statewide, open-access, community-based, technical college. The College provides courses, degree programs, counseling and related services, technical assistance, and community service to individuals, communities, and businesses and industries at 23 campuses across the state.

Like other Ivy Tech campuses, the Fort Wayne facility offers a wide range of programs through a curriculum keyed to flexibility. As needs change, so do the programs.  New courses are constantly being added in response to requests by prospective students and employers.  Simultaneously, existing courses change as technologies develop.  Consequently, Ivy Tech in Northeast Indiana increased its enrollment from 131 students enrolled in three programs, in August 1969 when the College opened its doors, to approximately 4,000 students enrolled in 24 programs and 66 specialties in 1998.

Note: Ivy Tech provides students and alumni a direct link to northeast Indiana employers who post employment opportunities with Ivy Tech and to many more across the United States.


Contact Information:

Claudia Alexander
3800 North Anthony Blvd
Fort Wayne, IN 46805-1489

Phone: 219-482-9171
Fax 219-480-2053


Back to List of Schools


Northern Illinois University


Located 65 miles west of Chicago, Northern Illinois University is a comprehensive undergraduate and graduate university with approximately 23,000 students. With its main campus located in the City of DeKalb, Northern also operates regional sites in Rockford, Hoffman Estates, Oregon, and Naperville. The university is composed of seven degree-granting colleges that together offer 51 undergraduate degree programs and 70 graduate degree programs, including 10 Ph.D. programs, doctoral degrees in Education and the Juris Doctorate. (See website: http://www.niu.edu/.)

In 1986 the Burma Studies Group of the Association for Asian Studies designated Northern Illinois University as the national Center for Burma Studies. A major objective of the Center is to collect and preserve information and artifacts of all kinds concerning the study of the peoples and cultures of Burma, and to make these materials broadly available for research and study. The Center hosts a biennial Colloquium at which the most recent research in Burma Studies is presented. (See website: http://www.grad.niu.edu/burma/.)

The Center for Southeast Asian Studies was established in 1963 at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. A federally funded National Resource Center since 1997, the Center for Southeast Asian Studies provides leadership, focus, and coordination for Southeast Asian studies at the university and community outreach throughout northern Illinois. (See website: http://www.niu.edu/cseas/.)


Contact Information

Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 3001
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Illinois 60115-2857

Note: There is an application fee of $30.

You can apply on line at: http://www.niu.edu/admissions/onlineapp.shtml



Back to List of Schools


Simon's Rock College


Simon's Rock College of Bard is located in Western Massachusetts. It is the United States·only college of the liberal arts and sciences designed expressly for students of high school age. Most students enter Simon's Rock after completing the 10th or 11th grade, and follow programs leading to the Associate in Arts and Bachelor of Arts degrees in liberal arts.

The college opened in 1966 and in 1979 became part of Bard College, a liberal arts college, with a tradition of educational innovation. Bard College is located 50 miles away in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York. The provost of Simon's Rock is U Ba Win, a Burmese who has been in the United States for many years.


Contact Information

Office of Admissions
Simon's Rock College of Bard
84 Alford Road
Great Barrington, MA 01230,

Phone: (413) 528-0771
Website: www.simons-rock.edu


Back to List of Schools


The University of Hawaii at Manoa

The University of Hawai'i at Manoa is a research university of international standing. It has widely recognized strengths in tropical agriculture, tropical medicine, oceanography, astronomy, electrical engineering, volcanology, evolutionary biology, comparative philosophy, comparative religion, Hawaiian studies, Asian studies, Pacific Islands studies, and Asian and Pacific region public health. UH Manoa offers instruction in more languages than any U.S. institution outside the Department of State.

The university has 17,000 students enrolled in Manoa courses, on campus or via distance delivery, studying toward bachelor's degrees in 88 fields of study, master's degrees in 87, doctorates in 55, first professional degrees in law and medicine, and a number of certificates.


Contact Information:

The Office of Admissions and Records
2600 Campus Road, Room 001
Honolulu, HI 96822

Email: ar-info@hawaii.edu
Phone: (808) 956-8975 or 1 800 823-9771 within USA
Hours: Monday thru Friday 8am - 4pm

Website: http://www.hawaii.edu/admrec/



Back to List of Schools



Western Illinois University

Established April 24, 1899 as the Western Illinois State Normal School by the Illinois General Assembly, Western Illinois University is located in Macomb, a small town in Illinois, about 300 miles far from south west of Chicago.  Western now has 610 full-time faculty and students from Japan, Korea, Malaysia, People’s Republic of China, India, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Burma, Republic of China, Germany.  There is a student to faculty ratio of 15:1, an average class size of 25 and a professional faculty where 73% hold the highest degree attainable in their discipline.  The university offers over 60 undergraduate programs of study and 35 graduate degree programs.


Contact Information:

International Education
Western Illinois University
Memorial Hall
Second Floor
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455 USA
Phone: (309) 298-2426

email: International_ED@ccmail.wiu.edu

Website: http://www.wiu.edu/users/miintl/  

Burmese Students Network:

Website: http://www.wiu.edu/users/mumzm/bsn/index.htm

Phone: 309-295-8323

email: burmese_sn@hotmail.com


Back to List of Schools

Back to Top



Obtaining a Student Visa

Most international students obtain F-1 visas. If you have an F-1 visa, any dependents who come with you will be granted F-2 visas and will not be allowed to work in the United States.

J-1 visas are for short-term exchange students and research scholars who are sponsored (and funded) by a government, a university, or an international organization. If you have a J-1 visa, your spouse will be granted a J-2 visa and can apply to the Immigration and Naturalization Service for permission to work in the United States.

To obtain an F-1 visa, you have an I-20 from the university that admitted you. To obtain a J-1 visa, you must have an IAP-66 from the university. Go to the US Embassy or Consulate and present your I-20 or IAP-66. You will have to fill out a form and meet with a visa officer.

You should be able to prove:

1. you have been admitted to a specific university (letter of admission)
2. proof of financial support (scholarship letters, bank account records, etc) and
3. evidence that you will return to your home country (evidence of family members, a home, and strong ties to your country).

Note: the United States does not want to admit students who are going to stay in the United States. They will only give you a visa if they are convinced that you WILL return home after completing your studies.


Tips for the Interview:

Once in the United States, if you are on a student visa, you must:


Permission to Work

F-1 visa holders can work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and up to full-time during the summer and school holidays. J-l visa holders can work on-campus according to the terms of their scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship in their field of study. They may also find other on-campus jobs (see your International Advisor for details) and work up to 20 hours per week during the academic semester and full-time during the summer and school holidays.


(for more information, please check the INS homepage at: http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm)



Back to Top



Civil Rights in the US


International students studying in the U.S. are entitled to the same Constitutional rights as anyone else. Freedom of speech and freedom to express ideas are rights allowed everyone. Furthermore, the U.S. Constitution guarantees all persons protection against improper investigations, arrests or convictions of alleged violations of the law.  If you are arrested, you have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford one, one must be provided for you at no cost.

The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) also provides more information on your rights.


Back to Top




(The following information is from: http://www-oie.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/OIE/students/4CurrentStudents/eTax/taxes.htm)


Anyone who earns an income in the U.S. must pay taxes and file an income tax return. Generally, if you have been in the U.S. for five years or less, you are a "non-resident" for tax purposes. After five years, you may become a "resident" for tax purposes. All foreign students are required to complete tax forms.

Even if you have no U.S. income, if you are admitted to the U.S. in F or J status, and you are a non-resident for tax purposes, you must file form 8843 with the Internal Revenue Service. This is a requirement!

If you did have U.S. source income, you must file both form 8843 and form 1040NR (or 1040NREZ). Both of these forms must be completed and returned to the IRS by the applicable deadline as outlined in the 1040NR (or 1040NREZ) instructions.

At the end of January each year, tax forms, including the required form 8843 and forms 1040NR and 1040NREZ and instructions are available in the Office of International Education (OIE). Please note that the staff of OIE cannot provide tax advice. A tax seminar regarding federal non-resident income tax issues is scheduled in late February or early March to help students complete tax forms.

If you earn income in the U.S., your monthly paycheck will show a deduction for federal, state, and local taxes. These are the THREE AGENCIES to whom you must report your income usually by April 15th of each year. Your employer will provide you with a W-2 form and/or a 1042S form (usually in January or February of each year) which show total earnings and any income tax deducted. You must submit these forms along with the appropriate income tax forms listed above to local, state, and federal Internal Revenue offices. Should you have paid more than your tax bracket demands, you will obtain a refund; should you have paid less - you'll pay the government. You should keep copies of all forms submitted to IRS. If your forms are lost or questioned, it is your responsibility to provide duplicate information. "Tax Evasion" (failure to pay and report tax deductions) is a federal offense; do not forget to file!

Depending on your country of citizenship, certain tax treaties apply and may reduce the amount of federal tax you pay. Consult U.S. Government Publication 519 or your employer for details. If you have questions regarding your federal taxes, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. CMU Payroll Services can answer questions about federal tax withholding procedures for CMU employees.

Most F-1 and J-1 students do not pay Social Security (or F.I.C.A.) tax on their income in the U.S. However, if a J-1 or F-1 student has been here for more than five years and is considered a "resident" for tax purposes, he/she must pay Social Security tax.



Back to Top



Useful Books

Try to find these books at public libraries and university campus libraries in the United States or at the USIS office in the country where you are currently residing.


The A's and B's of Academic Scholarships (annual, September)

This describes undergraduate scholarships not based on need (generally academic or talent awards available at about 1,200 colleges and universities. It may be ordered for $7.50 plus $2 first class mailing from Octameron Associates, P.O. Box 2748, Alexandria, VA 22301-2748, Tel.: (703) 836-5480.


Chronicle Financial Aid Guide (annual, September)

This provides information on financial aid programs in the U.S. from non-collegiate sources. Includes some listings for foreign students. Cost is $22.47 plus $2.50 shipping from Chronicle Guidance Publications, Inc., P.O. Box 1190, Moravia, NY 13118-1190, Tel.: 1 - (800) 622-7284.


The College Handbook - Foreign Student Supplement (updated annually)

This guide to U.S. colleges and universities for foreign students includes facts for undergraduate and graduate foreign students on enrollment, TOEFL, application deadlines, foreign students services, and housing at many U.S. institutions. It lists whether the colleges offer financial aid to foreign students, the total amount available, and the application deadline for aid. It may be ordered from College Board Publications, Box 886, New York, NY 10101-0886 for $16 plus $8.31 for overseas shipping, or call the College Board at (212) 713-8165 or fax at (212) 713-8143. College Board publications may also be ordered over the Internet.


Complete College Financing Guide

This publication devotes one chapter to funding for U.S. students wishing to study abroad and international students wishing to study in the U.S. It describes some scholarships and also lists other sources of information. It is available from Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 250 Wireless Boulevard, Hauppauge, NY 11788, Tel.: (516) 434-3311, for $14.95 plus $2.32 ($15.69 overseas) postage and handling. Your library might also have this book.


Foundation Grants to Individuals

Undergraduate and graduate scholarship sources are described. Also included are fellowships, residences, internships, and grants by U.S. foundations to foreign nationals and citizens as well as company-sponsored aid. This book costs $65.00 plus $4.50 ($13.00 overseas) postage and handling, and is available from The Foundation Center, 79 Fifth Avenue, 8th floor, New York, NY 10003, Tel.: 1-(800) 424-9836.


Funding for U.S. Study: A Guide for Foreign Nationals

This book advises students on planning for financial aid and describes over 600 grants and fellowships open to foreign nationals in varying fields of studies and countries of origin. It does not include financial aid offered directly by U.S. colleges and universities. However, the 1996 edition, available as of August 1996, will include financial aid offered by U.S. colleges and universities, both named awards and more general financial aid. Contact IIE Books at Institute of International Education, P.O. Box 371, Annapolis, MD 20701-0301, Tel.: 1- (800) 445-0443; or e-mail: iiebooks@iie.org. Cost is $39.95 plus $4 shipping and handling - $16 for overseas shipping.


The Grants Register

This book is primarily intended for students at the graduate/post-graduate level who require further professional or advanced vocational training. It aims to provide full, current information on awards (scholarships, fellowships, research grants, exchange opportunities, etc.) for nationals of the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and developing countries, and costs $95. The 1997-99 edition will be available in May 1996 for $110. Available from St. Martin's Press, Scholarly and Reference Office, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010, Tel.: 1- (800) 817-2525.


NAFSA's International Student Handbook

A 174-page orientation to university life prepared by expert NAFSA members. The handbook was developed by NAFSA and AT&T to help international students adjust to student life in the United States. Students can get a copy free by calling AT&T at 1.800.533.6198. Visit the AT&T college web site at http://www.att.com/college.


Kaplan's Guide to College Selection

Includes descriptions of universities, deadlines, and pre-requisites. (available for purchase at www.kaptest.com)


The Student Guide

The most comprehensive resource on student financial aid from the U.S. Department of Education. Grants, loans, and work-study are the three major forms of student financial aid available for US citizens and eligible non-citizens (those with refugee or asylum status) through the federal Student Financial Assistance Programs. The Student Guide tells you about the programs and how to apply for them.

Order by phone: Federal Student Aid Information Center 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)

Or view online at:



Back to Top


Useful Links


Includes sections for undergraduate students and graduate students in law, medicines, and business, with information on related careers. The site ranks the 331 best American colleges and also includes information on required tests, financial aid, and links to universities.



Provides helpful information about studying in the United States. The site includes information on the US educational system, financial requirements, housing, and American culture and social life.



This site is specifically for international students. Information on undergraduate and graduate programs as well as distance education and intensive English programs in the United States. Also, an "ask the advisor·page and a page with comments from international students studying in the United States.



Information on financial aid for domestic and international students studying in the US. The site includes information on College admissions, financing college, ESL, traveling to the US, passports and visas, other resources, living in the US, cultural differences, and an ask the advisor page. It also includes a list of books that give information on US colleges and scholarship opportunities.



Provides a list of many scholarships open to students from all countries who would like to study in the United States.



Back to Top


Burmese Student Contacts

Tun Myint - currently a graduate student at Indiana University studying in the Joint Law and Social Sciences Ph.D. Program. Tun Myint also did his undergraduate degree at Indiana University. He is willing to answer the questions of Burmese students who want to study in the US. You can contact him at: tmyint@indiana.edu

Burmese Student Club at De Anza College, California - Members of the De Anza College Burmese Student Club are happy to help anyone who wishes to study at De Anza College. You can contact them at: dassburmese@yahoo.com.


Back to Top

Back to List of Countries

Back to Contents