On-line access to archives/archival collections

I have only recently rejoined the list and Cal Lee's recent comments
are quite stimulating to me as I am very interested in how to present
information on archival websites. My comments are meant to be general
observations/questions not specific to whatever post Cal was responding to
(as I did not read it).

Most of the articles I have read (and the ones Cal mentions) focus on the
casual user (aka surfer). Is this the real target audience of archival
websites?
I think not, at least I maintain that sites geared to casual users are an
inefficient
use of resources.

I think eventually internet users will be classified by type (surfers,
information
seekers, etc). Has this already been done? I'd be pleased to hear of
articles/
resources used by folks interested in this area.

Now I certainly agree that even users with specific information needs coming

to a home page want to be able to get to their destination simply and
quickly.
Once there however, many folks are willing to read directions and try to
figure
out how to get as much information as possible.

What to do with finding aids??? Again, trying to gear finding aids to a
casual
surfer is plain silliness IMHO. Frankly I don't care about someone who only
spends
a minute on my site. Yet many users of archival materials don't understand
and
don't care to understand the stucture and access provided by standard
(if there is even such a thing) finding aids. Finding aids were created for
the
benefit of archivists and scholarly researchers. Electronic access provides
an opportunity to expand access to information seekers with simpler, more
basic
information needs. How to manage this is the big question.

I think one possible avenue of advance is to target a specific user group
(K-12 classes that focus on state/local history, genealogists, etc) design
something to increase access to that group, monitor use and solicit
feedback.

Craig G. Wright
Associate Curator of Manuscript Acquisitions
Minnesota Historical Society
651.296.7989           craig.wright@mnhs.org