Y2K

Discussion of Y2K has been moving around in archival internet circles.
One party suggested this discussion  be extended to the ARCHIVES
LISTSERV.  Here are some starting points.

ISSUE I.  Numbering Systems.

Many archives use numbers of the "year-serial" style.  That is, the system
that looks like "78-12, 78-13," and so forth.  A common use is for
accession numbers.  This system has several limitations.  Of importance
are:
          1.  It is workable only for 100 years.
          2.  When used in computers, "00" will sort before "99,"
              following a century roll-over or a millenial roll-over.
          3.  General confusion arises as the system approaches the
              hundredth year.  If begun in 1951, the numbers for the
              decade of 2040 will create some confusion.

Point 2 is the Y2K issue.  It seems to have three solutions.
          1.  A fast global change in the computer data,  adding "19" in
              relevant places.  (That's what I did on Jan. 4, 2000!)
          2.  Begin a new numbering system that is not limited by
              the year numbers.  Just put it into effect at a break
              point, a convenient date.
          3.  Software fixes that leave the data unchanged while the
              progam "knows about" implied 19.

Changing the data took me five minutes to achieve.  But the labels on
thousands and thousands of boxes did not change, nor did the various
tracking records that fill a file cabinet.  The employees will have to
read "implied 19" in those places during the foreseeable future
because changes at these points are too tedious and time-consuming to
effect.

Solution 2 might be a better fix, with a little forethough on how it
will impact on computer sorting.

Solution 3 is not realistic, although it has been done in other
contexts.

 -- What problems and solutions can be added?  Other considerations?

Issue II.  Y2K project records and retention schedules.

My facility is now holding extensive records of the Y2K review of a
central computing facility.  The auditor has directed that these
records be kept for "a long time."   We have not determined what that
is.  One joking suggestion is for a retention of 1000 years, "so we
know what to do the next time."  I am thinking that the committee
minutes and memos go archival, so to speak.  The rest then can be retained
about 10 years.  The rest is composed of diagnostic printouts, program
listings, core dumps and that sort of thing.

Any experiences to share??

Lawrence R. Stark
Assistant Archivist
Washington State University