Re: Got Any Ideas?

Bobs Tusa,
Are your expectations of what the firefighters/security personnel going to do based
on a written agreement with them or is it just in your plan?  In other words do they
agree (hopefully in writing) that in such an emergency they are going to carry your
materials out of your facility to some other location?  Seems to me that if such a
disaster as a hurricane or tornado occurs life safety issues on a much broader scale
are going to take precedence over library materials.  Most place have an internal
disaster recovery team in place that can be mobilized to do this work.  That said,
outlining the relevant shelving areas with that highly reflective tape that
firefighters use would be a help.  I presume that you have plastic sheeting available
to cover the stacks if the roof goes, emergency lighting, and a stockpile of plastic
milk crates for moving.  Is there a designated storage area for the removed
material?  What happens if it is also damaged?  I am certain you have thought these
issues through but when you indicate that you expect the firefighters to do the
salvage job I get a little concerned about a disconnect between your expectations and
their response in a generalized emergency.  Just my own thoughts on this issue.  Dick
King, University of Arizona.

Bobs Tusa wrote:

>         Currently our disaster manual identifies the manuscript collections and
> books which should are top priotity for rescue by room/range/section/shelf.
>  There is no identifing mark on the items themselves.
>         If the disaster occurs while we're here, we don't even need the manual in
> order to know what to rescue.
>         If it occurs while we're not here and if there is no electricity, I can't
> envision the firefighters or campus security personnel laboriously reading
> the disaster manual with a flashlight.
>         The most likely disaster would be hurricane or tornado.  We're in a solid
> building with a Halon gas fire extinguishing system.  Most of the
> collections are housed in locked rooms with good security.  We do not
> perceive theft from break-in to be high risk.
>         We're thinking of glow-in-the-dark labels of some kind so the rescuers
> could just eyeball the collections in the dark and grab them.
>         Anybody done this?  What works?  What doesn't?
>         Many thanks,
>             Bobs Tusa

> Bobs M. Tusa, Ph.D.
> University Archivist
> William D. McCain Library and Archives
> The University of Southern Mississippi
> Box 5148
> Hattiesburg, MS  39406-5148
> Website: http://www.lib.usm.edu/~archives/
> E-mail:  Bobs.Tusa@usm.edu
> Phone:  (601) 266-4348
> Fax:    (601) 266-6269

begin:vcard
n:;
tel;cell:520.419.6577
tel;fax:520.889.5660
tel;work:520.889.5666
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Arizona;Records Management and Archives
version:2.1
email;internet:kingr@u.arizona.edu
title:Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;University of Arizona=0D=0ARecords Management and Archives,=0D=0A250 E. Valencia Road=0D=0A;Tucson;AZ;85706;USA
end:vcard