Deed of Gift

We have a donor who wishes to donate some books, journals, and plaques to
the University or Library.  At first, we thought the materials would go to
Special Collections, but now we think the books and journals should be
placed in the general collection of the library where they are more
accessible to patrons. The plaques will probably be placed in another
building here on campus. I'm sure the donor will want to acquire an
appraisor before the materials are donated.

The question I have at the present time deals with what kind of written
document should be prepared for this type of transaction.  I am thinking
that a Deed of Gift or a Declaration of Gift (is there a difference between
the two?) would be useful if manuscripts, papers, photographs, etc. were
involved and the materials would be housed in Special Collections. Since
these types of material are not involved, what kind of written document
should be prepared? Would just a letter be sufficient, and if so, what are
some of the points that should be addressed?

I would appreciate hearing any advice some of you would have who have had
past experiences in regard to this issue. If you wish, you may respond to
the list or email jSalm@fhsu.edu. My mailing address is Judith Salm/Forsyth
Library/600 Park Street/Fort Hays State University/Hays, Kansas 67601.
Thanks so much--Judy