Re: Deed of Gift

1/10/00

Dear Ms. Salm:

In addition to considerations such as transfer of literary property
rights, an important -- I would say indispensible -- element in a deed of
gift is a clause that the recipient institution has the authority to
dispose of items in a donation that are deemed non-historical.  (The donor
could choose whether to permit the institution to dispose of these at will
or return them to the donor.)

Inclusion of this will spare you a lot of trouble later on.
Unfortunately, I know this from first-hand experience.

I will send you under separate cover a sample deed the Muskie Archives
uses.  The boilerplate on disposal, I think, is pretty standard.

Sincerely,

Christopher M. Beam
Director, The Edmund S. Muskie Archives
Bates College, 70 Campus Avenue