Re: Deed of Gift

Christopher M. Beam said:

> In addition to considerations such as transfer of literary property
> rights, an important -- I would say indispensible -- element in a deed of
> gift is a clause that the recipient institution has the authority to
> dispose of items in a donation that are deemed non-historical.

Why only non-historical? Why not non-anthropological, non-sociological,
non-psychological, or non-agricultural?  Every document in my archives is an
historical document, but every document I have is an anthropological and
sociological one as well.

Therefore, especially in Deeds of Gift or Acts of Donation, I would avoid
mentioning academic fields or subject areas. Instead, I would say you
reserve the right to dispose of materials lacking sufficient archival value,
research value, or that do not meet your institution's collecting policy.

Leon C. Miller, Manuscripts Librarian
Special Collections, Jones Hall
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118