Re: Hospital archives and microfilming

We are operating on a very small budget.  Microfilming what we have
would be impractical.  We do not have the space nor funds to set up a
microfilm copying operation, nor a microfilm reader and microfilm
storage cabinets nor to have an outside facility do it for us.  Beyond
that, we do not consider microfilm to be user friendly.  We do have the
inhouse technology available to us to scan important documents and
photos for online use.  The addition of a computer for archives users
seems a practical solution, as our "finding aid" is a database built in
Microsoft Access.  As we process each accession we are adding data to
the database.  Add the availability of documents and photos via computer
throughout our hospital system (to anyone with the right software), and
we have a far better system than one on microfilm.  The Public Relations
head at our branch hospital had added Microsoft Access to her computer
and this will give her a long-distance advantage as well.

Leslie Wagner
Archivist
Methodist Hospitals of Dallas