From:   Bernadette A. Boucher [SMTP:balibra76@YAHOO.COM]
Sent:   Saturday, January 15, 2000 11:20 AM
To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject:        Re: Position posting

Hello, gang---

I agree completely with Dean (as I usually do!).  I
think that institutions that pack 50 pounds in one box
and expect workers to lift it are really asking for
trouble--- the potential for accidental injuries as
well as long-term debility (i.e., "bad back") is just
too great.  Another thing to keep in mind is that many
of us (particularly archives in universities), use a
small army of students for manual activities like
paging requested items.  A lot of male students I've
worked with are gangly, and if a 50-pound box were to
tip, they'd go down with it!  :)  Never mind some of
the girls who are 5-3 and weigh all of 110!  I don't
know the Sam Houston Center's collections or set-up,
but I can't help but wonder if there's another
alternative--- breaking down boxes into manageable
loads, or storing heavy boxes at a height that is
reachable without a ladder, but not too low.  I always
encourage my staff to use bookcarts, handtrucks, other
colleagues, whatever, to do the job safely.  Please
don't flame me for this, but I don't think any economy
or collection is worth hurting a staffperson.

Bernadette  :)

--- Dean DeBolt <ddebolt@MAIL.UWF.EDU> wrote:
> With all due respect to the Sam Houston Center, I
> both
> chuckled and winced at the requirement of ability to
> lift
> and carry 50 lb. boxes UP library ladders, as well
> as
> the comment that this would be tested.
>
> I have interviewed and hired many full-time,
> part-time,
> and volunteer staff, and I am hard-pressed to think
> of
> anyone that could handle this type of task.   I do
> carry
> boxes up and down pulpit ladders in our records
> management division, but I don't believe any of the
> cubic foot boxes approach this weight -- and if they
> do, I have seen staff simply drop them.  If they are
> that tightly packed in paper ... it is cheaper to
> risk
> replacing the box than physical damage to the staff.
>
> In this department, we will occasionally break a
> collection into two boxes if it appears the one box
> is
> overly heavy.   The question is not just the
> heaviness
> of the box, but other problems of moving it around
> the facility, the ability of booktrucks and shelving
> hold the weight without bending, danger to users or
> researchers who try to move the box themselves,
> and similar concerns.
>
> I apologize ahead of time if my thoughts offend any-
> one.  Jot this one down as musings on a Friday
> afternoon.
>
> Dean
>
> Dean DeBolt
> University Librarian
> Special Collections and West Florida Archives
> John C. Pace Library
> University of West Florida
> 11000 University Parkway
> Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
> Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338
>
> A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV
> List!
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
> listserv@listserv.muohio.edu
>       In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname
> lastname
> archives@listserv.muohio.edu
>
> Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the
> web interface at
>
> http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
> Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt
> <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

=====
Bernadette A. Boucher, MLS (Rutgers, May 1999)
"It's alright to 'like books' but a librarian should like people."

balibra76@yahoo.com