Martin Luther King and Encarta

On this day of days, upon which we celebrate the achievements of Dr.
Martin Luther King, I was struck by an interesting question and I thought
that I would seek the opinions of fellow archivists.  This morning the
University of Michigan honored Dr. King by having Dr. Henry Louis Gates of
Harvard University come to speak.  He paid homage to Dr. King in a most
unusual way.  He did so by sharing some the work he has done to further
the study of black history, chief among these being the creation and
assisting in the development of Encarta Africana.  My question is does the
dissemination of archival material and archival footage through cd roms
such as Encarta discourage the use of actual archival source material and
discourage the patronage of archives?

Random thoughts on a very interesting King Day.

Andy Vinovskis
Technical Library Assistant III
Serial Records Division
Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library