Database software

Our organization is planning to set up an intranet and, soon after, put parts
of our database on the Web.  We need to upgrade our database system in any
case (a very old version of dbTextWorks (i.e. InMagic)).  We're at the point
of going for grants and may have a major donor, so we're looking for a
wouldn't-it-be-nice system and worrying about the specifics of cost
afterwards, rather than starting with a budget ceiling.

I'd like to inquire about other archives' good or bad experiences with
databases (bibliographic as well as clipping/ephemera files, soon to include
images) across networks, particularly if you've had to do it yourself (half a
dozen computers or so) rather than as part of a university or other larger
system.  Recent versions of dbTextWorks? Claris FileMaker? Microsoft Access?
SQL systems?

Also, any experience with small servers like the new under-$1000 Quantum
servers that claim to be plug-and-play?  I'm sure a lot depends on who you
have providing technical assistance, but I'm curious about these new systems
that claim to require relatively little attention.

It often seems that some of the most helpful discussion on this list is of
the "whatever you do, don't ..." variety, so I'm sure people won't be too
embarrassed to help others learn from their mistakes!

Misha Schutt
ONE Institute International Gay & Lesbian Archives
Los Angeles, Calif.