Re: HELP! Adventures in Starting a New Archive!

Your missive raises several points to consider. The following is my take on
your situation. Take it for what it is worth.

1. I assume that the community college is located in Illinois and therefore
subject to whatever public records laws exist in Illinois. As such I would
utilize your contacts within the Illinois State Archives.
2. Who is behind the establishment of the college's archives?
3. Since you are currently receiving items, someone or some group has made
an announcement about the establishment of the archives. Such an
announcement would indicate de facto establishment rather than de jure
(Board sign-off). If the Board has not formally approved the archives
establishment then how was your current salary and supplies budgets
 established and approved.
4. What department are you assigned to? , and who do you report to?
5. Does the community college have a records management program? If yes,
then contact that individual and work closely with him. Does the college
have an approved records retention schedule that identifies items eligible
for transfer to the archives?
6. The desire for a budget by early February is unrealistic especially
since the college is moving to a new campus by the end of the year. It
would be better to develop a 5 year plan from which budget projections can
be made. What is the college's budget cycle -- calendar or fiscal year. If
fiscal year when does it start?
7. How much space is assigned at the new campus for the archives and where
is it located. Is there enough room for growth.
8. As others have written  What is the purpose of the archives?

These are just some questions/concerns that should also be answered.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia
mailto:peterk@woodsidesummitgroup.com