From: David B. Gracy II [mailto:gracy@GSLIS.UTEXAS.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2000 10:53 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Job notice

Assistant Professor in Archival Enterprise
Electronic Record and Digital Asset Management

The Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) at the University of Texas at Austin invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position at the assistant professor level.  The successful candidate will teach courses and conduct research in the broad field of archival enterprise--the dynamic delivery of the archival and records management function--specializing in electronic record and digital asset management.

A Ph.D. degree in Library and Information Science, Management Information Systems, Public Affairs, History, or a pertinent field, is required, as is demonstrated ability in research and teaching.  The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the exciting evolution of the School and be a change agent in the state of Texas.  Certified Archivist is desirable.  Salary for the nine-month position is competitive; additional compensation is possible for summer teaching.

The Graduate School of Library and Information Science at the University of Texas at Austin has a student body of 400 and offers programs that lead to both master’s and doctoral degrees.  Complementing the specialization in archival enterprise are programs in preservation and conservation of archival and library materials, information science, and librarianship.

The Archives and Preservation Program of the school was ranked as the top offering of its kind by U.S. News and World Report in the first-ever ranking of such programs published in the Spring, 1999.

The University of Texas at Austin, a world-class institution in research and teaching, is a leader in the use of computing and networking in higher education.  The University library is the fifth largest academic library in the country, and the campus supports 6 major archival facilities.  The successful candidate will benefit from the outstanding GSLIS information technology laboratory.

Austin offers an unsurpassed setting for the archival enterprise education program.  Opportunities abound for working with government, private enterprise, and campus programs in management of electronic and digital resources.  Archival repositories of almost every kind and level operate within Central Texas, including local, state, national, and international, and ranging from private organization to government and academia.  Strong records management programs operate in both government and private-sector settings.  A dynamic student chapter of the Society of American Archivists and an award-winning, active city chapter of the Association of Records Managers and Administrators provide strong support for the teaching program.

First consideration will be given to applications received by February 15; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.  The position is available September 1, 2000.

Direct inquiries and letters of application, including a resume and three letters of reference, to:

Professor David B. Gracy II
Governor Bill Daniel Professor in Archival Enterprise
SZB 564
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78712-1276
Phone:  512-471-3892
email:  gracy@gslis.utexas.edu

David B. Gracy II, CA

Governor Bill Daniel Professor in Archival Enterprise
Voice: 512-471-3892      Fax: 512-471-3971

Interim Director, Preservation and Conservation Studies
Voice: 512-471-8291       Fax: 512-471-8285

The University of Texas at Austin
Mail Code:  D7000
Austin, Texas 78712-1276