Matrimonial Advertising

[Please reply to: lrite@interax.com]

I am doing research for a book about the practice of
matrimonial advertising in 19th century America. I am
especially interested in examples of how these ads were used
by pioneer settlers on the Western frontier. These ads are
the equivalent of the "personals" found in newspapers today.
They appeared in the classified sections of regular
newspapers, often on Sundays. There were also special
"matrimonial papers", some of which were distributed by
matrimonial bureaus that also advertised their services in
the classified section of daily, weekly, and monthly
newspapers.

I am trying to collect a variety of these classified
matrimonial advertisements from different newspapers,
published between 1840 and 1899, and it has been very
difficult to locate publications containing them. I have
written to various historical societies around the country
and all have replied that 19th century newspapers are not
indexed, making it almost impossible to locate the ads
without going through individual newspapers, edition by
edition, page by page.   But my project caught the interest
of a few archivists working at these historical societies
and libraries, and they have been the source for most of the
ads I have found thus far. They either recalled seeing such
ads in the past or, after having read my letter, ran across
them while researching another topic; in either case, they
contacted me and provided invaluable leads.

I would like to reach a larger pool of archivists and
individuals working with historical collections. Would it be
possible to publish an author's query or a short article
about my research in your newsletter, asking your readers to
contact  me if they have any information relevant to my
topic?

I am an independent scholar and author, but am affiliated
with the University Without Walls program at Skidmore
College. The book I am planning to write will be a
thoroughly researched work of history intended for a
popular audience.

Sincerely,

Laura Taxel

2954 E. Derbyshire Road