Electronic Records

Our ITS folks are moving the campus' web pages (including all personal,
organization, departments, etc.) from one server to another.  In the process,
they've left it up to the folks who have the web pages to do the transfer so
that whatever is left on the old server will be erased/destroyed, etc.   This
means, for example, that the web page of a fraternity maintained by Joe
Jones (who has now graduated) disappears until the fraternity finds someone
else who says 'hey, let's have a web page!"

I've raised the question of record retention as well as the role of archives
in preserving key pages.   ITS is taking the position that they (and the
Univer-
sity) are not the custodians of the records, therefore it is up to the
custodian
to abide by state law, records rules, and historical preservation.

I'm curious whether anyone else on the list has had a similar experience or
heard this before.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338