[no subject]

This message may be of passing interest in light of Tom Hickerson's
recent posting on SAA's decision to continue with plans to use the
Adam's Mark Hotel as the site of the next annual meeting in Denver.  I
am writing as the Director of Archives of The Episcopal Church which is
one of just a few organizations that has taken the unusual step of
canceling its contract with the hotel.

The Episcopal Church's decision to break its contract with the Hotel was
one that involved enormous pain and sacrifice.  The decision will cost
the Church at least $1.2 million in cancellation fees. The cancellation
fees will reduce the national Church's ability to fund programs that
support local social service efforts.  The Hotel will get base room rate
reimbursement, but the service workers who rely on tips, room fill
rates, and overtime will suffer. The Church uses a minimum of seven
hotels for its triennial General Convention and finding a replacement
for what was supposed to be the headquarters hotel will be very
difficult.   I expect that other non-profits that do good work such as
the Human Rights Campaign will also suffer extreme financial pain.

I have personally never given the same moral weight to the argument that
large corporations should be evaluated in the same way as individuals in
being "innocent until proven guilty."  The history of this case and the
extent of the documented charges  brought against the hotel are
persuasive for those who would distance themselves from institutions
that routinely engage in racist practices.  Still, the Church based its
decisions not on any legal action, nor any explicit criticism of the
Hotel pending litigation.  Rather the leadership was compelled to
observe a moral commitment to abide by its own policies in honoring
diversity and combating racism in those institutional and social
relationships in which it is a participant actor.

I am one of many Episcopal Church employees who feels good about being
associated with an institution that has decided that when the chips are
down, it could "walk the talk."

SAA is not alone in deciding that it cannot afford to take this step.  I
am sure that decision also caused pain to the Society's leadership.  The
members of SAA must now chose to their individual path.  I urge all
members of SAA to attend the annual meeting in Denver.  I urge you also
to plan early and, if at all possible, consider reserving a room at
another hotel apart from the Adam's Mark.

Mark J. Duffy
Director of Archives
The Archives of the Episcopal Church USA
Chair, Archives of Religious Collections Section, SAA
(Opinions do reflect the views of my employer, but not the Section.)