Re: definition needed

I would have called these one of the following terms, depending on precise
content:

Factsheets
Information sheets
Information leaflets
Handouts

"Factsheet" is the common term in the UK for these kind of free
distribution materials, usually produced to support an educational,
campaiging or publicity programme.  The idea being to put all the
background information, detailed explanations and contact addresses etc.
into a handout document so that the main campaign message (or whatever) can
be put across in a simple clear way uncluttered by detail, and interested
parties can then ask for more detail if they want.  The BBC here in the UK
uses these a great deal to support educational and consumer TV and radio
programmes, so that the actual transmission can be kept uncluttered by
detail, and they always call them "factsheets".

If the leaflet were a simple advertising sheet (whether commercial or
non-commercial e.g. advertising a public meeting) then I would call it a
"flyer", but these don't sound like that.  The documents you descibe are a
type of thing produced by most organisations - including most archives I
suspect.  I agree that it is slightly odd that we have no common term for
them, given that everyone can recognise them when they see them!

Regards

Richard Taylor

At 11:20 PM 2/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi - I'm working on a project surveying material in our Women's Center.
>There are quite a few documents that I can't easily place as a "type". They
>are informational sheets, often 2-4 sheets stapled together, put together by
>organizations and obviously meant for free distribution. These are items
>produced primarily in the 1970s. Can anyone suggest a useful term describing
> this format?
>
>Thanks -
>
>Cynthia Johnson
>Barnard College Library
>caj14@columbia.edu
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!

>      In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
>                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

Richard Taylor