Need Help - Digital "Restoration" of Color Photographs

Title: Need Help - Digital "Restoration" of Color Photographs

Listmembers:

I have two faded color photographs c.1940 and c.1950 which are need for exhibition purposes.   I am considering having them sent to a photography studio and scanned.  The studion can then play with the image and add colors in. They would be going on the remaining color, scant recollections of the individuals in the photos, and guesswork.

Has anyone tried this route with color prints?

Was it worth the time and expense?

Are there other options?

Does anyone have references for photo conservators or studios in the New York metro area who do this kind of work?

I am awaiting a list of photo conservators in the NYC area from the AIC.  I have checked with CCAHA in Philly.  I have searched Conservation Online and am familiar with Wilhelm Imaging Research.  I would appreciate any first-hand experiences or suggestions listmembers could offer.

Tom Heard