Re: Adam's Mark Hotel -- Organization of American Historians

The Adams Mark Company has not been found guilty of racism but what has happened in my opinion is that organizations are trying to steer clear from the allegations that would have an impact on how their particular organizations are viewed.

 I agree that it is unfair to all involved but the choice not to utilize the hotel's accommodations is not just limited to the Organization of American Historians.  It has become a widespread problem due to the publicity this issue has received.

Shirley Derrick
Assistant Records and Information Manager
Briggs & Stratton Corporation
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

>>> "Diane C. Russell" <dcrussell@MAILANDNEWS.COM> 02/15/00 01:37PM >>>
I'm a little confused here.

Has the Adams Mark Company been found guilty of racism or whatever they are
accused of in any competent court of law, either civil or criminal?  If so,
than these OAH actions might be justified.  Can someone give us a citation?

But, if the company has not been found guilty, what is going on?  It sounds to
me as if the OAH and some of its members don't want to give the company a
chance to defend itself.  They seem to be insisting that the company admit
guilt without a defense.

Is this fair play?  Or are the OAH and its members making hateful statements
and engaging in a criminal conspiracy to deprive Adams Mark of it's right to
defend itself and working to extort a settlement from Adams Mark whether
deserved or not?

What if I accuses the OAH of blackmail and demanded a settlement?  Using their
apparent standard, making the accusation should be enough for them to be
presumed guilty.  I shudder to think what these historians are teaching our
youth about fairness, rights, and liberties.