searching free form text documents

Dear List,
     Have any of you set up software programs that permit students,
scholars, etc. to search free form text databases?  If so, what software
have you used?
     To give a little background and make the question more
understandable---We're in the process of creating an oral history
collection.  We hope at the end to have several hundred transcripts in
the collection.  We want students/scholars to be able to come in, search
the full text of the interviews by, I guess, keywords, and retrieve an
answer that gives them the name of the transcript and the page number
within the transcript?  Does anyone out there have experience with
this?     Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea R. L'Hommedieu
The Edmund S. Muskie Oral History Project
Bates College, Lewiston,  ME