Adam's Mark Engages Project Equality

The following message is made available for information purposes.

-----Original Message-----
From:   Kirk P. Perucca
Sent:   Friday, February 18, 2000 4:06 PM
To:     John Colon, Episcopal Church Center
Subject:        Project Equality's Work with Adam's Mark Hotels
I want to provide you [as a Board member] important new information about
Project Equality's work with Adam's Mark Hotels.  The work fits our mission
statement:  Project Equality is a national program, sponsored by religious,
not-for-profit and for-profit organizations to assist employers to achieve
equal employment opportunity for all people. and our strategic plan to
implement additional services for employers.
Kirk Perucca

For Immediate Release
For further information contact
Sharon Harvey Davis

National Diversity Organization Will Evaluate Adam's Mark Employment and
Guest Policies
ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI, February 18, 2000 -- Adam's Mark
Hotels & Resorts has asked a national diversity organization to conduct an
independent evaluation to assure that the 21-hotel chain practices equality
in its employment and guest services policies. The evaluation will be
conducted by Kansas City-based Project Equality, which will also review
operations of the hotel is parent company, HBE Corporation.

Adam's Mark Hotels has a longstanding and absolute commitment to equality
in employment and guest service, said Fred Kummer, HBE chairman and chief
executive officer.  At the same time, we are continually striving to
improve and welcome any recommendations that might result from an
independent third party.

HBE and Project Equality are finalizing details of the review and plan to
hold a press conference next week in St. Louis to provide further details.
 Project Equality is a 35-year-old organization with extensive experience
in helping corporations and other organizations train workers, improve
employment practices and position diversity strategically. Sharon Harvey
Davis, director of diversity for HBE, said Project Equality¹s evaluation
will focus in two areas:  a company-wide review of employment practices to
assure diversity and equal opportunity; and diversity training for all
employees to ensure that hotel guests and employees are treated equally and
fairly regardless of race.

Kummer said HBE is also continuing to negotiate with the U.S. Department of
Justice to resolve a racial discrimination suit.  The suit stems from
allegations of discrimination against five African Americans who visited or
stayed at the Adam's Mark Hotel in Daytona Beach, Florida, during the Black
College Reunion in 1999.  HBE maintains that the allegations are unfounded.

The agreement for an outside review was undertaken voluntarily by HBE and
was not required by the Justice Department in connection with the suit. We
are cooperating fully with the Justice Department and hope to reach a
resolution very soon, Kummer said.

Kummer said Adam's Mark plans to contact convention groups that have
cancelled meetings and ask them to reconsider.  We believe our agreement
with Project Equality, coupled with our intent to resolve the Justice
Department suit, demonstrates our commitment to do everything we can to
assure total racial equality in our workplace and in how we treat our
guests.