Re: copyright question -specific

Barbara,
To be on the safe side, you should contact the original owner of the photos.  Often permission to publish an image is for "one time use only" so the publishers could not legally give you permission to use the photos.  However, they could give you the contact information as to where to locate the person(s) who can.
Good Luck!
Leah Weisse
WGBH Archives
Boston, MA