Re: Query: WWII Social History Repositories

The Blitz Museum in London, near London Bridge, has an incredible display of
artifacts, life-in-the-English-home-during-the-war 'stuff' (including
make-do wedding cakes as foodstuffs were in short supply, diverted to the
troops). I was amazed at how the British were so resourceful during this
time. How garments were really restructured, how ads promoted fashion during
this time, etc. One of the best collections depicting a time in our history
that I have ever seen. The social picture that museum projects gets an A+ in
my book. I think they would be a good source to contact.  I'll see if I can
find a URL or something for you.

I can also say I saw the "Through Russian Eyes" exhibition which toured the
US a couple years back. There were some interesting Soviet diaries, letters,
etc.  I do not recall who assembled that. I seem to recall that this touring
exhibition was the first time many of these artifacts had been outside the
Soviet Union. The displays of hospital tents, shelters, and apartments being
down to no furnishings (some Soviets had to actually boil their
wallcoverings, as the adhesives (made from potato flour, if I remember
correctly) had food value and food was really hard to come by during the
seige of Leningrad), etc., etc., have made everlasting imprints on my mind.

Also, the Monument, the wonderful museum near Caen, France, has a phenomenal
collection of displays regarding WWII. An actual Spitfire suspended from the
ceiling when you first arrive. They have a great research collection, which
scholars can use, and I suspect they field questions and researchers from
all over. Their displays are liberally accentuated with newsprint items,
official Nazi documents, photos, etc., many, I might add, which are very
upsetting.

As an aside, one of the most memorable attributes of the Monument, is the
downward slope of the walkways. It gives one a rather sinking feeling of
doom, of being taken into a course of dark and terrible events from which
there was no turning back. A very effective feature. In addition, the
theatre at the end of the self-guided visit shows phenomenal film footage on
a large screen, half the screen footage from the Allies perspective, the
other half, simultaneously, showing film from the German perspective as
D-Day progressed. Amazing. I think most of us always think in terms of the
Allies (which is understandable, I suppose).  Seeing D-Day invasion from
both sides simultaneously was a unique thing for me.

Also, the Auckland Museum has quite a number of WWII artifacts, including an
actual Zero. My dad had served in the South Pacific in WWII, and he and I
made a trip to that area in Aug 99. It was something he wanted to do, go
back. He is preparing, at the request of the Auckland Museum, a narrative of
his time in that part of the world. Because of the insular and strategic
nature of New Zealand, it has a pretty unique spot in history. Work is under
way to collect narratives of US, Canadian, and other personnel posted their
in WWII. The Auckland Museum gets many requests for information about WWII,
and if anyone can lend them a hand in this project, I can provide you the
librarian contact to make there.

Stephen Ambrose or Tom Brokaw sources might help.                     Not
all of the above may be directly applicable, but perhaps of some value.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library
100 Kindel Drive, Suite C212