Re: Electronic media

Dorothy:
There are currently no standards setting storage requirements for compact
discs. There is one standard describing how to estimate life expectancy of
compact discs based on temperature and humidity effects. There are standards
for storage requirements for optical disks and for magnetic media. (see list
below)  Testing conducted by National Media Labs in 1995 resulted in life
expectancy projections for Cd-ROM ranging from 10 -100 years, and 2 - 50
years for CD-R, depending on quality of manufacture, when stored at 50
degrees F and 25 percent RH.

You can view the slides from a panel presentation I was part of in
Cincinnati last October.  The presentation was on the life expectancy of all
records and information media, and we did extensive research on what
standards and requirements exist.  The appendix slides list all the
standards for life expectancy of paper, photographic, digital and magnetic
media.  http://www.newport-news.va.us/wwdept/infosite/index.htm

CD and Optical Disk life expectancy standards include:
ANSI/NAPM IT9.21, Life Expectancy of Compact Discs (CD-ROM) - Method for
Estimating, Based on Effects of Temperature and Relative Humidity.
ANSI/PIMA IT9.25, Imaging Materials - Optical Disc Media - Storage
ANSI/PIMA IT9.26, Imaging Materials - Life Expectancy of Magneto-Optic (MO)
Disks - Method for Estimating, Based on Effects of Temperature and Relative
Humidity.
Magnetic Tape standard:
ANSI/PIMA IT9.23, Imaging Materials - Polyester Base Magnetic Tape - Storage
Practices.

Hope this is helpful.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)