Inquiry about interns/fellows/etc. in archival work

I am preparing a presentation on the use of interns/fellows and other
non-professional archivists in archives for the May MARAC conference
in New Brunswick.

I first want to get a sense of how many formal internship/fellowship
programs exist. Please write to me directly if you have such a program
and are willing to share information about how you recruit, train,
use, and compensate interns/fellows. I am especially interested in any
internships connected with formal archival/MLS education programs,
particularly internships that carry course credit.

I also want to hear about informal internships. In my collection we
sometimes have processing money that comes with a collection and are
able to recruit an MLS/archives student and classify their work as an
internship. Information on that sort of arrangement will be useful to
me.

Finally, any anecdotes about good, bad, and ugly experiences either
working AS an intern, or with interns will be useful. Do interns do
different work than other non-professional staff? Are interns given
special training/education not available to other staff? Do
experienced interns have any greater success finding full-time
professional positions?

Thank you for your assistance,

Mike Kelly
Assistant Curator