Pretty Park virus

This is a strange note, but a colleague's computer became
infected with the Pretty Park virus somehow.   The viruscan
program found the two infected files and recommended that
they be deleted.   Unfortunately we did that.   Then we turned
to Symantec for information on how to cure the computer and
discovered that the steps to cure are easy provided you have
NOT deleted the two "infected" files.     So I'm sending this
along to note that in some cases, rather than immediately
delete virus infections .... go to another computer and call
up www.symantec.com and go to their antivirus center and
read the data on the particular virus before doing anything.

We've not been able to cure the computer (2 hours now),
and I jokingly said if we could reinstall the virus ....  well,
enough said!

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338