CHI to Receive Rare Letter

CONCORDIA HISTORICAL INSTITUTE TO RECEIVE RARE LETTER

ST LOUIS - Concordia Historical Institute, the Department of Archives and
History of The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod will receive an original
1946 letter, bearing the signatures of 21 Nazi criminals, on Thursday, March
16, in a ceremony at the Institute at 10 a.m.

The letter, written to the wife of Army Chaplain Henry F. Gerecke,
appealed to her to permit her husband to remain with them in Germany and
minister to them through the conclusion of the Nuremberg trials. The
Army had chosen Gerecke for the assignment because he spoke German, he
had extensive experience in prison ministry and he was Lutheran. (Of the
21 Nazis on trial, 15 had indicated they were "Protestant.")
Signers of the letter included Hermann Goering, Wilhelm Keitel and Karl
Doenitz.

The letter has been in the possession of the chaplain's eldest son Henry H.
Gerecke of Cape Girardeau since his father's death in 1961. The Institute is
the home of the world's largest collection of artifacts and information on
Lutherans in America and has a climate-controlled collection containing more
than 2.6 million manuscripts, documents, letters and papers from individuals
and official church agencies. The Institute also operates a free museum to
display artifacts that help bring Lutheran history to life.

"We are very pleased that the Gerecke family is entrusting us with this
special letter, written to their mother," said Rev. Daniel Preus,
Concordia Historical Institute Director. "Their decision to give us this
historic document enables us to preserve the memory of Chaplain Henry
Gerecke and illustrate vividly the importance of those who have served
our church and nation as chaplains in the Armed Forces."

The letter to the late Alma Gerecke, dated June 14, 1946 and handwritten
in German, says in part, "We now have heard, dear Mrs. Gerecke, that you
wish to see him (Chaplain Gerecke) back home after his absence of
several years. Because we also have wives and children we understand
this wish of yours very well. Nevertheless we are asking you to put off
your wish to gather your family around you at home for a little time.
Please consider that we cannot miss your husband now.... In this stage
of the trial it is impossible for any other man than him to break
through the walls that have been built up around us...."

There are no immediate plans to display the letter in the Concordia
Historical Institute Museum, but it is likely a reproduction will be put
on display soon. The original letter will be added to the archives and
used on special occasions, such as an exhibit on the work of the
Lutheran Church during the war.

"In displaying this letter, we do not wish to diminish the evils that
were committed by the Nazis, but to demonstrate that the forgiveness of
all sins was paid for by Jesus on the cross and is for all who repent
and believe," said Rev. Mark Loest, curator of CHI's museum. "Through
the ministry of Chaplain Gerecke, our church was able to bring this
message to these men."

For more information, please contact CHI at (314) 505-7900.
###

Marvin A. Huggins, C.A., Associate Director
Concordia Historical Institute    (314)505-7921
801 De Mun Avenue      FAX: (314)505-7901
St. Louis, MO 63105-3168  mhuggins@chi.lcms.org
Web Page: http://chi.lcms.org/