photo lib software - help!

Desperately seeking software suggestions --

Here at Maryknoll we have a separate Photo Library. There are ca. 300,000 to 3 million images, depending whom you ask. It is heavily used both internally and externally, and archival items have never been identified for transfer to the archives. That aside, the Photo Lib is planning to enter the last century and get a computer, as well as automating their many functions and cataloging the images at the item level. Database software suggested to them by our I/S Dept include Museum and Galleries. My concern is that these products really seem geared to dealing with 3D items, and that a lot of the Photo Lib's functions will have to be built in.

1) Is my concern unfounded?
2) Can you offer some brand names of software that I can suggest they check out?
3) Is there a different listserv I should query about this?
4) Are there any websites for librarians and/or archivists that list collections management software?

Thanks for any input,
Lisa