Re: help--- preservation of microFICHE

> A newbie archivist asks another question:  we have
> just gotten a donation of approx. 30 linear feet of
> microfiche.  The fiche date from the 1980s and '90s

That's a lot of fiche. Do any of the fiche have a title?

>I'm not even
> sure what kind of materials the fiche are made of---
> they are blue background with white text, glossy on
> both sides.

Sounds to me as if you have a donation of diazo microfiche rather than the
original silver halide.

> I've searched through Library Literature, and I've
> found a number of articles about microFILM, but not
> about microFICHE.

That all encompassing term if micrographics. Film refers to 16mm and 35mm,
microfiche is approximately 4x6 inches. It is just a format. Microfiche is
also known as COM (computer output microfiche/film) the fiche card was most
commonly produced for accounting records ie green-bar computer printouts.
You can put about 200 pages of 11x17 computer printout on one fiche card.
Depends entirely upon the reduction ratio. I worked for a company that
produced a 50k page printout (that's right 50,000 pages) of property ledger.
They only maintained one copy because of its size and the time it took to
print. They converted to microfiche when I explained how inexpensive it was.
(approximately $1.50 for each original sheet of fiche and about .25 cents
for each duplicate) At they could produce several duplicates and the
accountants wouldn't have to stand in line.

There is also a product called updateable fiche, most commonly used for
personnel records (not likely that that is what you have)

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia
Tel: 804-744-1247 extension 23