Binderies

Daniel Sokolow wrote:

>Anybody have an idea about how much it costs (roughly) to bind issues of
>current magazines?  I've been told it ranges between $55-$110 here in the
>metro area...

Assuming you are binding several dozen or more volumes at a time, you
should get able to get library binding of magazines for less than
$20/volume. There are actually several classes of standard library binding,
with prices varying depending on the exact services provided by the bindery
and the style of binding used.  Sources of "extra" charges include type on
the front cover of the book, pockets for indexes or maps, and volumes
taller than a certain size, usually 11 inches.

I honestly can't imagine what a bindery would provide for $55-110 per
volume for journal binding, unless the price meant that there were no
minimums and no bindery preparation slips (instruction slips) or collating
required. $55-110 could buy some corporate board room level presentation,
but the price isn't enough for true hand binding in the New York
metropolitan area.

For journals, thesis binding, edition binding, and some rebinding, I second
the recommendation for Ocker & Trapp, which has a web site at
www.ockerandtrapp.com. I've used Ocker & Trapp for most of ten years and am
this week sending them 250 volumes for binding.

Steve Johnson
Wildlife Conservation Society
sjohnson@wcs.org