Re: Hushpuppies - was Ahem! (blush)

In reverse chronological order, there's:

The War
The Great War
WW2

Also sometimes referred to as:

The American Civil War
World War I
World War II

For example one would say:

Great Grandaddy was in The War, Grandaddy was in The Great War, and Daddy
and Uncle Frank were in WW2, at least I THINK Frank went to that one.

Sa-lute,
Aletha Andrew
Manuscripts Department
The Southern Historical Collection