Thesauri for medical archives

I would develop my own.  I tried to locate an appropriate thesaurus when I started this job, but could find none that was really satisfactory, so I ended up establishing my own set of terms.  (I don't know if it's exalted enough to be called a "thesaurus" in the academic sense, but it works.)   The MeSH headings were not much help for me, since they only have the medical part and nothing applicable to administrative archives.  The headings were out of date for the scientific part anyway, especially for a research institution like this.  I realize my answer is not very fashionable in this age of standardization, but you need something that works for you.  Full-text indexing is not successful, since scientific terms and administrative jargon (not to mention institutional names!) change so fast that you need plenty of cross references or you can't locate two items about the same thing 5 years apart.  If you have any questions about how we deal with this problem here, feel free to send me an email.  Good luck!

Fred Lautzenheiser
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
lautzef@ccf.org