From:   Jacquelyn Saturley [SMTP:saturlej@LIBCOOP.NET]
Sent:   Tuesday, March 28, 2000 7:37 AM
To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject:        Re: job market

>On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Jill Jackson wrote:
>
>> Because we are hiring, I have been watching job announcements a lot
lately.
>> I have noticed that quite a few archivist positions (of various types)
keep
>> getting re-advertised or the searches extended.  This is both exciting
and
>> unsettling depending whether one is a prospective employer or employee.
>> am wondering whether there is a skill deficit, or whether more jobs than
>> applicants.  Thoughts?  Are there fewer students going into archives at
the
>> library schools?  And is it just my imagination, or are grant funded
>> positions more plentiful and harder to fill these days?

Well, as one who has looked in other geographic areas for potential
employment -- I can only say that I am keeping my eye on other fields. The
pay that is being offered across the board is so absurdly low. I can think
of no other profession, except librarians, that have such an extremely low
pay scale. It is absolutely ludicrious. I did not enter the profession to
get rich -- but I do like make my mortgage payments and eat at the same
time!!