Re: job market

A suggestion was made that $30,000 should be a minimum entry level salary
for a job in Worcester, MA.  I would personally (this does not necessarily
reflect the view of my employer) say that in San Antonio, TX the minimum
should be $28,000. For comparison these salaries would be equivalent to the
following in other parts of the country.

Worcester, MA          30,000        33,291
San Antonio, TX        25,232        28,000
Washington, DC        34,470        41,281
Berkeley, CA             35,175        39,034
Seattle, WA               30,797        34,175
Chicago, IL                40,714        45,180
Iowa City, IA               23,676        26,273

Obviously there is a lot of regional variation in the equivalent dollar
amount, even though most entry level salaries seem to be between $25,000 and
$33,000.

I used the Homefair salary calculator to get these figures (and checked -
renter) http://www2.homefair.com/calc/salcalc.html
<http://www2.homefair.com/calc/salcalc.html>

To throw out another question, I would be interested to hear from those who
have posted positions in the past couple of years.  How many applications
have you received, and about what % met the basic requirements for the
position.  If people will send this data (and approximations), privately or
to the list, I will throw together an unscientific summary.

Jill

Jill U. Jackson, Archivist
UTSA Library
Special Collections & Archives Department
Tel. 210-458-2385; Fax. 210-458-2386

Address:801 South Bowie, ITC Bldg., Room 3.08.01, San Antonio, TX
78205-3296