the job market (no comment on salaries)

 I have been job hunting for about half a year for
archivist and some librarian positions, and below are
some of the issues I have had with the hunt.
TIMING/ TIME
 For a few of the jobs I've applied for the closing
date was say in October and I would not hear from the
institution for ...... oh ..... MONTHS, til late
January or so.  Once interviewed I was told I wouldn't
hear from them again for (range) 3 weeks to a month.
A librarian once told me my problem was that I was
applying to too many academic institutions which
operate on a schedule measured in months.  At the same
time I was applying to a few corporate bodies that
were working at light speed compared to government and
academic institutions. So my guess is by the time "the
committee" makes up its mind the 1st and 2nd choices
have gone elsewhere and the process starts... again.
Of course, I could be wrong.

QUALIFICATIONS
I have been told to apply to places even though I
might not meet all the desired requirements. I do that
occasionally. Luckily there are several entry-level
(that's what I am, a newly minted MLS) positions to
keep me busy. I sometimes apply to some positions but
not others because of wording in the job announcement
like "Senior" or "Professional" experience, only later
to find out through word of mouth that the senior
position was an entry-level position mis-named by HR,
or the org was willing to count internships and
practicums as professional experience. I understand
that some job announcement descriptions might be in
the hands of people not in the know (personnel or
directors who aren't sure what it is that an archivist
does). For government jobs having to deal with the
KSA's, or what I like to call the essay portion of the
application, can be a problem, but I guess govt.
employers have no say in that, blame OPM.
RESOURCES
I spend a fair amount of time crafting the cover
letter (and sometimes the resume) to each job... so
I'm selective and I can't apply to everything that
comes down the pipe. Besides paper, printer ink,
stamps or treking to the post office for sizable
application packets take time and money.  This year
alone, and it's only March, I have spent over $100 in
resume supplies, mainly printer ink and postage.  Then
it is worse when an application asks for actual
letters of recommendation instead of a list of
references.  That means I have to hunt down people
(who are busy with other things) and constantly harass
them to make sure that they send the letters on time
before the closing date. So each job application is an
investment.  If it doesn't look like I have a chance
in Hades, I won't apply. But that's just me.

LOCATION
I have a friend in academia who is stuck in eastern
Washington state.  Although he likes teaching, the
social/ spiritual life there is depressing. He is
isolated socially, there is no night life, there are
very few people like himself so even though the salary
and work are perfect, life after work is horrid.  I
have talked with others who are of a certain racial or
other sometimes-discriminated group and life
after/outside of work is a big factor. Then there are
other semi-professional personal things related to
location. I like the east coast bc of the number of
people around who are librarian/ archivists.  To be
the only archivist you know of in a 30 mile radius is
not a happy thought for me. Not happy because of the
opportunities for professional development and
training might not be there, well at least locally.

I know I wouldn't say anything about salaries but that
goes into whether I would apply.  I have a min. and
max. amount in my head and typically avoid postings
below my min. It becomes a problem when the salary is
not stated. I'm not sure why salaries are not posted.
A range or neighborhood figure would be nice. I had to
cancel an interview at the last moment when I found
out the job would pay less than my current position,
it was a waste of time for both the employer and me.

Well I chatted enough about this.

Keeping a low profile 'cause they don't know
I'm looking elsewhere. But feel free to e-mail me
episkychic@yahoo.com