Re: Freedom of Information Act

My answer to this question would be yes.  In my previous work at a private college high priority was placed to protect files but for confidentiality reasons only.  A person does have the right to view their own file at any time with proper identification.

However, keep in mind that the record is still the property of the institution so sometimes you may encounter roadblocks.

My recommendation is that you contact your academic office for their policy on viewing records.

Good luck in your quest,
Shirley Derrick
Assistant Records and Information Manager
Briggs & Stratton Corporation
PO Box 702
Milwaukee, WI  53201-0702
(414) 259-5654 phone
(414) 259-5489 fax
"Our past is our future."

>>> vcunning@EMMA.TROY.NY.US 04/03/00 08:04AM >>>
This may be a silly question, but, do alumnae of a private institution have a right to see their files on request?

I've been told not, but I have a sneaking suspicion that that may not be correct.

As you have always come to my rescue in the past, I'm throwing myself upon your collective wisdom.

Thank you,

Ronnie C