Re: Scopes Trial

Dr. Edward J. Larson's _Summer for the gods_, Pulitzer winner for 1997, deals
with the Scopes Trials; his bibliography is one of the most comprehensive I
have ever found.  I would refer to it, but currently UTC's only copy is
checked out and my private copy is, alas, at home.

He presented the annual address for the Chattanooga Area Historical
Association in January 1999.  I have no recollection of his mentioning film or
audiotape in the book, his address, or at dinner with the Association's board
members (when his two-year-old kept dropping spaghetti in my lap...)

He did refer to the fifties movie _Inherit the Wind_, and presented his
evaluation as to how well the movie kept to the original flavor of the real
trial.  (If you want to know how positive or negative the comments were, read
the book.)

At UTC, less than an hour from Dayton, we have collections dealing with the
trial, mostly clippings.  Due to the recent fire at Bryan College, UTC is
currently the temporary library for Bryan students (is that why the book is
checked out..?)

Holly Hodges
UTChattanooga