National Archives of Canada General Inventory database now availa ble

April 3, 2000

Please excuse to duplicate posting, this is a copy of a message sent to
ARCAN-L today and H-CAN on April 1:

H-CANADA,

No doubt I am pre-empting an official announcement, but it is
April Fool's Day and this appears to be for real. A tip of the
virtual hat and uncorking of the virtual champagne are in order
now that the National Archives of Canada General Inventory
database is available via ArchivaNet.

The General Inventory covers both government records and private
papers in all(?) media acquired by the Archives. Government and
private records can be searched simultaneously or separately.
Keyword searching within or including all levels of archival
description (fonds/collections, series, files/items, accessions)
is the primary means of access. Hierarchical or structured views
of the records are also available as popup windows. Detailed
descriptions are not available for all records.

This is a tremendous accomplishment for the National Archives of
Canada. As an archivist and historian I offer my heartfelt thanks
for a job well done.

Sincerely,

David Mattison, Access Services Archivist and
Voyager Library System Administrator
BC Archives
Information, Science and Technology Agency
E-mail: David.Mattison@gems3.gov.bc.ca
Web: http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/