Cataloging manuscript serials

I was contacted by someone not on the list about cataloging what sure do
look like manuscripts with aspects of seriality to them.  The items in
question are incomplete sets of  typewritten or word processed and
photocopied speech texts given as part of named lecture series at a college.
Some of the lecture series are regular (annual) and some aren't. The
materials for each series are stored in separate boxes and added to as they
come in, and not all speakers pass on a copy of their speech.  So far APPM
still has not defined 1.6, Series Area.  And by becoming a manuscripts
person I thought I'd never have to touch serials!

So we have what I consider manuscripts, with an author and title and date of
presentation, along with the name of the lecture series at which they were
given.  The manuscripts came directly from the speakers and are not
transcripts.  The topic content of some of the series is diverse enough that
doing each lecture series as a collection record doesn't make a lot of
sense.  What am I missing?  How are other people handling this?  I think it
would have een easier if they had been taped copies of the lectures--that I
can do.  This person contacted me because I teach MARC mixed materials
format occasionally but this one has got me stumped. Would the 006 field be
useful to denote seriality, or is there a whole other way of going about it?
Obviously the records for a series would have to be pulled together by the
lecture series title, but there are a number of ways I can think to tackle
this.  Any enlightenment greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Sally Childs-Helton
Manuscripts Cataloger
Indiana Historical Society Library
317-234-0042

This is not an official communication from the Indiana Historical Society.