Re: Civil War

I guess I'm taking this falderal much too seriously, but...

-----Original Message-----
From: Bubba Dowell [mailto:bubbadowell@HOTMAIL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 2:28 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Civil War
"
The Civil War is not actually over.  With the surrender of Lee's Army of
Northern Virginia, and Prebnott's Army of Western Alabama, Section II,
Subsection 42 of the Confederate Constitution became operational.  It
stipulated that in the event of the "surrender of all armies, the government
of the several states herein called the Confederate States of America,
ceases to exist, as a legally operational body."  Thus, there was no one
legally empowered to sign documents of capitulation.
"

But then, didn't the war end with the capitulation of the armies, along with
the Confederacy, just as the document states? And secondly, what legal force
does the Confederate Constitution have, anyway?

"
On August 11, 1863, a huge fireball suddenly exploded in the midst of a
column of Confederate troops.  Hundreds were killed.  Survivors reported
that a light streaked in the sky right before the explosion.  For miles
around the site trees burned for days.  Scientists speculate that this might
have been the result of a very small meteorite which impacted in the midst
of the troops.
"

Very suspicious. No location mentioned, yet seemingly it was a horrendous
event. If HUNDREDS of men were killed, surely there'd be some reference
somewhere to this catastrophe, but I can't find any.

Thomas J. Wood
Archivist
Archives/Special Collections LIB 144
University of Illinois at Springfield