Re: Building design and planning - advice needed

The fire regulations (at least in Cleveland) forbid having anything within 18 inches of the ceiling/sprinkling system.  We can't put anything on top of our shelves, and have to be careful about how far up the shelving goes in any given room.  This would nix it in a hurry if you have similar regulations.
Fred Lautzenheiser
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
lautzef@ccf.org

>>> Thomas Berry <tberry@WCNET.ORG> 04/27/00 10:17AM >>>
To those who have dealt with building committees and other aspects of
planning a new archival building:

I've run into a couple of problems concerning design snd furnishing of a new
building for our collections, and need your advice on the matter.

1. What kind of sealant is recommended for a plain concrete floor?

2. One committee member is quite eager to see us install shelving above the
file cabinets that will be used to store a good portion of our collections.
He wants to mount it to the walls or hang it from the cieling, and he wants
to do this in order to not waste the space above the cabinets. The room will
have a nine or ten foot cieling, which means that only one shelf could
realistically be installed. I've tried without success to dissuade him,
telling him it will be more trouble than it's worth (cost, weight of boxes,
problems of removal and reshelving, etc.). I know I can get somewhere with
him, as I was able to talk him out of the painted wooden cabinets he
originally had in mind, but this one has me stumped. Has anhyone else out
there encountered this kind of thinking, and if so, what happened? Was the
shelving installed? If so, how is it working? If not, why? (I do understand
that file cabinets are not the best way to file records in the first place,
but I've been unable to break through a solid wall of "We've always done it
this way, so we always will" thrown up by everyone on the committee.)

Many thanks for all advice and suggestions.

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
419-352-5616
tberry@wcnet.org