Old LAPD Film Footage: Serious Archival Problem

I note that the Los Angeles Police Department has access to approximately 50
boxes of old 16mm?? LAPD film footage from the 1940s and 1950s which has/had
been stored in improper humidity control conditions.  As a result, the film
has experienced shrinkage of the film stock and the sprocket holes are
insufficiently far apart to permit viewing and duplication.  As a result,
without special re-hydration treatment, this rare film library is simply
unavailable.  if nothing else, this shows the importance of proper
environmental storage controls.

I understand that the LAPD has obtained a rough cost estimate of $50,000 -
$70,000 to send the film to an outside lab in the Burbank area to rehydrate
the film to permit videoduplication.  Unfortunately, this is not something
that they can justify within their limited budget.

Perhaps if there is a way to view the footage, someone could select out the
most interesting and important fraction of the material for selective
rehydration and duplication.  But this is impractical at this time.

The LAPD has offered the film footage to a couple of educational facilities
without any takers.  If anyone has any suggestions or other options, please
let me know by sending me a personal message to my email address, or at
least sending me a carbon copy of any message posted to the list on this
topic, and I will pass suggestions on to the individual (Mr. Fugate) at the
LAPD Video Unit.

Michael Ravnitzky
mikerav@ix.netcom.com