From: Carrie Fager, CRM [mailto:fagerc@SEC.STATE.LA.US]
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2000 10:17 AM
To: RECMGMT-L@LISTS.UFL.EDU
Subject: Re: A virus, and it is real!

Here's the AP story on the Virus if anyone is interested.

Carrie Fager, CRM
Information Services
La Secretary of State
Baton Rouge, LA
<fagerc@sec.state.la.us>

MAY 04, 09:14 EDT
'I Love You' Bug Hits Computers
HONG KONG (AP) - A computer virus spread by e-mail messages titled
``ILOVEYOU'' infected Asian and European computers today, hindering or
blocking
communication from investment banks to parliaments.
Experts said they were stunned by the speed and wide reach of the virus -
and nobody seemed to know of an immediate cure.
``It may be the most comprehensive spreading that I have seen,'' said
Snorre Fagerland of the computer security company Norman in Oslo, Norway,
where the
virus struck an untold number of companies.
The bug appeared in Hong Kong late in the afternoon, spreading throughout
e-mail systems once a user opened one of the contaminated messages. It later
moved into European parliamentary houses and through the high-tech systems
of big companies and financial traders.
``I have to tell you that, sadly, this affectionate greeting contains a
virus which has immobilized the House's internal communication system,''
said Margaret
Beckett, leader of Britain's House of Commons. ``This means that no member
can receive e-mails from outside, nor indeed can we communicate with each
other
by e-mail.''
In Asia, Dow Jones Newswires and the Asian Wall Street Journal were among
the victims. The bug affected only e-mail and did not prevent Dow Jones
Newswires
from distributing financial information to traders. The Asian Wall Street
Journal would have no problems publishing, officials there said.
But the e-mail systems went wild.
``It crashed all the computers,'' said Daphne Ghesquiere, a Dow Jones
spokeswoman in Hong Kong. ``You get the message and the topic says
ILOVEYOU, and I
was among the stupid ones to open it. I got about five at one time and I
was suspicious, but one was from Dow Jones Newswires, so I opened it.''
Once the message was opened, Ghesquiere said, it began sending the virus to
other e-mail addresses within the Dow Jones computers, blocking people's
ability
to send and receive e-mail. Victims sometimes received dozens of e-mails,
all contaminated.
``I have no idea how it got through the firewall,'' Ghesquiere said. ``It's
supposed to be protected.''
In Denmark, the parliament, telecom company Tele Danmark, channel TV2 and
the Environment and Energy Ministry were all affected starting this morning.
``We have no clue how it got in,'' said Hugo Praestegaard of the
Environment and Energy Ministry.
Credit Suisse First Boston issued a global e-mail memo warning employees
not to open the messages, said company official Tom Grimmer in Hong Kong.
He said
the virus had not infiltrated the investment bank's computer system.