RAIN 05/08: Storage, access and open records

All urls work as of 8:40 a.m. EDT

for the following story click on the 'headline' link on the left and select
Sunday May 7, Scroll down the page to the story
Fairbanks News-Miner 5/7/00
Stevens aims to file archives at UAA
http://www.newschoice.com/newspapers/fairbanks/miner/default.asp

by Chris Talbott and Sam Bishop
The state's historical records could be split between Anchorage and
Fairbanks if a proposed plan by Sen. Ted Stevens to deposit his archives at
the University of Alaska Anchorage materializes.
Stevens, possibly the most influential national political figure in Alaska's
history, is trying to raise $10 million in private funds to build a wing to
the new $30 million UAA public policy library.

Wonder if they have conducted a needs assessment or is the gentleman just
fascinated by techonology.
The Sun 5/5/00
Village reviews how it stores documents
http://www.copleynewspapers.com/sunpub/lisle/city/vilbrief0502.htm

There's paper, paper everywhere in the village of Lisle's offices: seven
years of budgets in four boxes, two years of industrial revenue bonds in
three boxes and enough building plans and permits to fill 80 file drawers.
However, village Administrator Bill Herman got board approval Monday to look
into purchasing a document imaging system so at least some village documents
can be stored on microfilm.

The Chronicle 5/5/00
Asbestos data to be public
http://www.thechronicle.com/news/uc_asbe2.htm

by Harold C. Shayer
STORRS - Officials at the University of Connecticut said they will respond
to a request to open their records in order to document the training of
asbestos removal workers once employed at the university.
UConn spokesman Karen Grava said Thursday that Dale Dreyfuss, vice
chancellor for business and administration, will provide documents showing
that the state has approved the worker training program for asbestos removal
that was used by Rhode Island-based Yankee Fiber Control at UConn's
Northwest Quadrangle residence halls. Grava said the documents should be
ready by the end of the week and will be sent to the James E. Duffy,
director of the Labor Management Foundation for Fair Contracting of
Connecticut, who made the request in writing to the university on April 14.

Salon 5/3/00
Our Nazi allies
A German amateur investigator finds information on the U.S. government's
friendly dealings with war criminals. Meanwhile, the FBI and CIA guard their
records.
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2000/05/03/nazi/index.html

by Ken Silverstein
May 3, 2000 | WASHINGTON -- Dieter Maier, an amateur investigator working
from his home on the outskirts of Frankfurt, Germany, has uncanny luck
finding out about U.S. ties to the Nazis.
For the past 20 years, Maier has been filing a steady stream of requests for
information to a variety of U.S. government agencies, largely for the
existential pleasure of historical inquiry, and also out of a fear of a
rebirth of Nazism, fascism and racism in Germany. The more he knows about
the past, he says, the better prepared he is to deal with the future and
present.

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette 5/7/00
Prosecutor: Schools justified in denying mom access to e-mail
http://www.ardemgaz.com/week/Sun/nwa/nwB5nwfoib7.html

BENTONVILLE -- A preliminary investigation determined that the Bentonville
School District didn't violate the state's Freedom of Information Act,
Benton County Prosecuting Attorney Robin Green said in a letter Friday.
Green sent the letter with the findings to Mindy Beers on Friday. Green
faxed a copy of the letter to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on Saturday.

ZDNet 5/20/00
Yes, You can get enough (storage)
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,5017095,00.html

Jess Berst
Editorial Director
I shudder whenever I hand off an important document to someone in the
office. Because I know what I'll go through to get it back. If it's Nicci,
our 20-something associate editor, I'll be on hands and knees wading through
the heaps of clutter decorating the floor around her desk. With Annette, our
Web junkie, I'll be sorting through the paper mounds that teeter
precariously on her desktop.
Seeing so many bad offline storage methods strikes me as odd when there are
so many good electronic storage options. And they're getting better all the
time. That's great news, because buying a PC with lots of storage or
upgrading an existing PC can make a huge improvement in your computing
experience. That's why I created this storage update with tips on finding
the option that makes sense for you.

Bergen Record 5/7/00
Fresh Air: Trenton must finally act to open public records
http://www.bergen.com/editorials/first20000507.htm

ACTION IS expected this week on a bill that would expand and speed up public
access to government records in New Jersey, including electronic information
such as computer data and e-mail.
The good news is that government officials would have to respond quickly to
requests from the public or the media or possibly face fines.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia
Tel: 804-744-1247 extension 23