any advice for grad considering archives?

I am a graduate student in International Affairs and have recently been
seriously considering going into the profession of Archives.  Do any of
you have any specific advice for someone who knows little about the day
to day operations in the field or of specific programs, universities,
etc.?  A friend has recommended getting Certification in Records
Management and taking lots of Electronic Records courses as well.  Would
it be necessary to get an additional degree in history since I have one
in International Affairs?  Three schools that have been suggested were
UCLA, Pittsburgh and Ann Arbor.   Does anyone have any comment on these
or other institutions?  I am very interested in film and television
archives as well.
Thanks for your time,
Clint Wilson