Re: organization schemes

We once used a hierarchically-based organization scheme, with decimal points and the like (similar to the one Christine Crawford described)  in the archives at Boise State University, but scrapped it many years ago because constant changes in the university's organizational structure made that kind of system too confusing.   Now, each office or department has its own distinct number, independent of its place in the hierarchy.  For example, the Affirmative Action Office is Record Group 240; it doesn't matter which vice president it reports to.   The Women's Center is Record Group 329; when it was moved bureaucratically from the Office of Student Special Services to the Office of Student Activities a few months ago it didn't make any difference in the way we handled their records and publications.   The Internal Auditor is RG 205 no matter who he/she reports to. Same for academic departments; it doesn't make any difference what college they might be assigned to at any given time.   We keep a record of the history of the organizational structure of the university through means other than record group numbers.

Alan Virta, Head of Special Collections
Boise State University, Albertsons Library (Boise, Idaho)