Re: odors coming from Audio and video collections

In another life, old microfiche within plastic sleeves began to deteriorate,
producing a small amount of liquid by-product. The by-product seemed to stay
within the sleeves, causing them to adhere to the fiche.  It was very
obvious, just looking at the old fiche, that something was amiss. It did
have a slightly vinegar odor to it, in addition to causing eye irritation.
There seemed to be no close chlorine source.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library
100 Kindel Drive, Suite C212