Thank you to everyone who responded to my question
regarding shelf locations in MARC records.  Since some of
the responses came off-list, I'll summarize briefly.
There were 15 responders; 6 put the shelf location in the MARC
record and 7 did not.  Two people offered advice but didn't actually
say what policy they followed.

It was pointed out to me, first of all, that our vendor was mistaken in
identifying the call number field (050) for this--it should have been 852.
Someone suggested using the collection number or an accession number
as a unique identifier analagous to a book's call number. I liked this idea
because it might prevent confusion between similar-sounding collections.

Beyond this, there are 2 other issues that were mentioned: security of the
collections, and the time involved in editing a MARC record every time a
collection was moved.  My own decision, after considering all the responses,
is to leave the location out of the MARC record and keep it in a local
database (Access) instead.  I hope this summary has been helpful to others
who are considering the issue.

Thanks again!
Joy Kingsolver

Joy Kingsolver, C.A.