Re: Engineering binder key

Some legal publishers still make binders like that - for serials. I don't
know if the keys are the same size, but it's an idea. I can look at the
binders tomorrow am, and send you the names/contact # of the publishers.

I can't remember offhand which publishers use the key method.

Stephanie

>I work in an engineering office, and we still have
>some of the old cloth binders that need a key to
>get the covers off.  I do not have such a key, and
>was told by a co-worker that those have not been
>made for around 30 years.  It looks a bit like an
>old-fashioned roller-skate key, only smaller.  It
>also looks like a very tiny version of the tool people
>use to turn valves in underground pipes.  The key is
>a hollow square inside, about 1/8" across.  The metal
>piece it has to turn in order to get the binder cover off
>looks just like the end of an Allen wrench, except that
>it is square, and not hexagonal.  It is recessed in the
>end of the binder.
>
>I need one of those keys, so people can get binder
>covers off & remove pages when they need to, in order
>to copy reduced drawings.  Does anyone know where
>I can get one?
>
>I will look on Ebay, but I do not expect that to work.
>
>I look forward to your replies!
>
>Margaret Monroe
>
>Office Tech (Typing)
>California Department of Transportation
>District 4
>Division of Structures Maintenance & Investigations, Toll Bridges (North)
>Room 10-400
>P. O. Box 23660
>Oakland, CA  94623-0660
>
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List!

>      In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
>                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES

>     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

Stephanie Swenson Towery