For State Historical Societies and Archives

The Tennessee Historical Society is in need of an appraisal of their collection for insurance purposes.  We (the TN State Library and Archives) maintain their holdings in our facility.  How do other state historical societies evaluate their holdings for insurance purposes?  Do you hire an outside appraiser or do you use your own staff?
Any information would be helpful!
Thanks,
Jami Awalt

Jami Awalt